Skip to content

St. John’s Lutheran Church celebrates 150th Anniversary

St. John’s Lutheran Church in Bismarck Township will be celebrating its 150th Anniversary on Sunday, June 18, beginning with a worship service at 10 a.m. That will be followed by dinner at 11:30 a.m. and entertainment at 2 p.m.
The congregation began in 1873 where a group of Bismarck settlers, led by Rev. Freese and Rev. Albrecht, would hold services in residences. The church’s constitution was signed by 21 members in 1880 and a small house of worship was built in that year.
As the congregation grew, a new church was necessary and was build in 1892. A pipe organ was installed in 1905 and a new parochial school built in 1915.

For the complete story, check out the June 14 issue of the Winthrop News.

Leave a Comment